Web Desk
There is a petition circulating to allow Novak Djokovic to play at the U.S. Open but the Serbian appears likely to miss the entire North American hardcourt swing barring a sudden change in COVID-19 protocols in the United States and Canada.
Djokovic has refused to take the COVID-19 vaccine yet the 21-times Grand Slam winner remains on the entry lists for the ATP 1000 events in Montreal and Cincinnati that serve as tune-ups for the Aug. 29-Sept. 11 U.S. Open in New York. In the case of the U.S. Open, which does not have a vaccine mandate, organisers previously said that per the Grand Slam Rule Book, all eligible players are entered into the main draw based on their ranking 42 days prior to the first Monday of the event.
U.S. Open organisers also said that while they do not have a vaccination mandate in place for players, they will respect the U.S. government’s position regarding travel into the country for unvaccinated non-U.S. citizens.
Former world number one Djokovic, whose website shows no upcoming events, said last week he was preparing for the U.S. Open as if he will be allowed to compete in the year’s final Grand Slam despite not being vaccinated.
Djokovic’s camp and organisers of the three North American hardcourt events did not immediately respond when asked by Reuters on Tuesday for comment. The hashtag #LetNovakPlay was circulating on social media as a slew of Djokovic supporters voiced their support for a player who moved to within one of Spaniard Rafa Nadal’s record of 22 Grand Slam titles after his Wimbledon triumph last month.
“Tennis is not interesting or authentic when the best are not allowed to compete,” one Twitter user wrote while another felt winning a tournament where Djokovic is not able to play is less impressive: “There will be an after every tournament winners name where Novak isn’t allowed to play!”

Djokovic likely to miss US Open over COVID-19 vaccine status 1

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here